Sore spots on the scalp are caused by various reasons. This condition may result from the use of harsh shampoos and conditioners, skin infections, allergic skin reactions, etc. Read on to know more about what causes sore spots on scalp.
Many people suffer from various scalp problems such as itching, crusting or flaking of the scalp and development of bumps, sores or blisters on the scalp. Development of sore spots is one of the common problems related to the scalp. These spots are sore to touch or even to the movement of hair. If you ask what causes sore spots on scalp, then there are several factors that contribute to sore spots. Lets have a look at few of them.
What Causes Sore Spots on Scalp?
In many cases, excessive washing or use of harsh shampoos and conditioner is the main cause of sore spots on scalp. It leads to drying out of the scalp and leaves the follicles open. This may result in follicle infection (folliculitis). Most of the hair care products consist of several toxic chemicals. These chemicals can cause drying of the skin and extracting its natural oils. It results in formation of sore, itchy spots on scalp. Due to lack of these essential oils, the skin becomes prone to yeast infections such as Melassezia Globbosa (fungus causing dandruff) or Pitysporum Ovale and other infections. These fungal infections result in the formation of dandruff and flaking of the scalp.
Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLS) is one of the toxic chemicals, which is an aggressive cleaning and foaming agent. It is added in about 90% of shampoos that are available in the market. It can give rise to some side effects such as premature aging of the skin, damage to eye membrane, prevention hair follicle growth and retards healing.
Some other possible causes of sore spots on scalp are:
* A fungal infection due to ringworm (Tinea capitis) is responsible for sore spots on scalp. This infection is more common in children and gives rise to some symptoms such as itchy, red patches on the scalp. It results in hair loss and formation of bald areas. The skin becomes red, scaly and itchy. There may be swollen blisters or rash, which looks like black dots. This rash is highly contagious.
* A skin condition such as acne can cause sore spots on scalp. This condition may result from hormonal causes, infection, blocked pores, ingrown hairs and incorrect diet.
* An allergic skin reaction (contact dermatitis) can be a cause of sore spots. It is in two forms such as allergic contact dermatitis and irritant contact dermatitis. Irritant contact dermatitis is a reaction resulted from the direct effect of irritant substance on the skin. Allergic contact dermatitis is a hypersensitivity reaction, originated from the body’s immune system. Contact dermatitis may be due to some cosmetic allergy.
* Stress due to work pressure, exhaustion or emotional tension can give rise to sore spots on scalp.
* Some viral infections such as shingles or chickenpox also can cause sore spots
You can use some natural oils such as chamomile, lavender, avocado or eucalyptus oil to soothe the itching. If you are suffering from the any scalp rash, it is better to consult the dermatologist before trying the OTC medications.